ModelMMORPG is a science project operated by the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Faculty of Organization and Informatics, University of Zagreb, Croatia (AILab), which supports scientific research by involving members of the public – you – in the processes of playing Massively Multi-Player On-Line Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs). Data from this project is used to study online community design and theory, interface design, and other topics. This document describes what will happen to your contributions if you choose to contribute and what data we collect, how we use it and how we protect it.
What you agree to if you contribute to ModelMMORPG
Projects involving the public are needed to enable researchers to cope with the otherwise unmanageable flood of data. The Internet provides a means of reaching a large audience willing to devote their free time to projects that can add to our knowledge of the world and the Universe.
The major goal for this project is for the analyzed data to be available to the researchers for use, modification and redistribution in order to further scientific research. Therefore, if you contribute to ModelMMORPG by playing the Mana World (TMW) MMORPG, as well as by discussing, commenting, chatting or having any other interaction with the project or its parts (hereafter contribution), you grant the AILab and its collaborators, permission to use your contributions however we like to further this goal, trusting us to do the right thing with your data. However, you give us this permission non-exclusively, meaning that you yourself still own your contribution.
We ask you to grant us these broad permissions, because they allow us to change the legal details by which we keep the data available; this is important because the legal environment can change and we need to be able to respond without obtaining permission from every single contributor.
Finally, you must not contribute data to ModelMMORPG that you do not own. For example, do not copy information from published journal articles. If people do this, it can cause major legal headaches for us.
What you may do with ModelMMORPG data
By submitting your contribution to ModelMMORPG, you agree to grant the AILab a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable license to: use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution.
If you do not want to grant to the AILab the rights set out above, you cannot interact with ModelMMORPG.
By interacting with ModelMMORPG, you:
- Warrant that your contribution contains only data that you have the right to make available to the AILab for all the purposes specified above, is not defamatory, and does not infringe any law; and
- Indemnify the AILab against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred by the AILab as a result of your breach of the above warranty; and
- Waive any moral rights in your contribution for the purposes specified above.
We respect the privacy of every individual who participates in ModelMMORPG. We operate in accordance with the Croatian Personal Data Protection act (cro. Zakon o zaštiti osobnih podataka).
Data we collect
Identifying information: If you register with ModelMMORPG, we ask you to create a username, possibly a number of game avatars and supply your e-mail address. Your e-mail address is not visible to other users, but others will see your username and character names in various contexts. Notably, your username is associated with any classifications or other contributions you make, e.g., on game chat, forum or commenting pages etc.
Usage information: We also monitor how people use our website, the MMORPG and other involved software, and aggregate general statistics about users and traffic patterns as well as data about how users respond to various features and interact with each other. This includes, among other things, recording:
- When you log in to the site and/or the MMORPG.
- Pages you request.
- Your game related interactions (chat, social network, trade, quest status, character statistics etc.)
- Other contributions, such as posts forums or commenting sections.
If you register and log in, the logs associate these activities with your username. Otherwise, they are associated with your IP address. In order to collect this data, we may use software that collects statistics from IP data. This software can determine what times of day people access our site, which country they access the websites from, how long they visit for, what browser they are using, etc.
What we do with the information we gather
Usage information is collected for research specific reasons:
- The game specific data collected will be used to analyze user behaviour, especially organizational behaviour which includes interaction, coordination and competition. These data will be used to create new models of player behaviour to further our scientific field.
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to display player statistics on our website.
- We may use the information to customize the website, MMORPG and/or other software involved.
- We may use the information to conduct experiments regarding the use of various site and software features.
- We may periodically send email promoting new research-related projects or other information relating to our research. Information about these contacts is given below. We will not use your contact information for commercial purposes.
What is shared with third parties
We will never release e-mail addresses to third parties without your express permission. We will also never share data we collect about you unless (a) it cannot be associated with you or your username, and (b) it is necessary to accomplish our research goals. Specifically, we may share your anonymized data with research study participants, other researchers, or in scholarly work describing our research. For example, we might use one of your chat sessions as an illustration in a paper, show some of your game specific social interactions with another user, or publish statistics about user interaction.
Contributions you make to the publicly available pages are widely available to others. Aside from the above, information is held as confidentially as is practical within our secured database.
In some areas of our site, a cookie may be placed on your computer. A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer’s hard drive that allows us to improve the quality of your visit to our websites by responding to you as an individual.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used and improve our website. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes, they are not shared with other sites and are not used for advertisements.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. However, if you choose to decline cookies from ModelMMORPG then functionality, including your ability to log-in and participate, will be impaired.
Acceptance of cookies is implied if you continue to access our website without adjusting your browser settings.
Where we store your data
We use a number of dedicated servers at AILab to quickly and reliably serve our website to an unpredictable number of people. This means that your data will be stored in multiple locations, situated in Croatia.
Removing your data
Due to the way in which we archive data, it is generally not possible to completely remove your personal data from our systems. However, if you have specific concerns, please contact us and we will see what we can do.
When we will contact you
If you do not register, we will never contact you. If you do register (on website or in MMORPG), we will contact you by e-mail in the following circumstances:
- Occasionally, we will send e-mail messages to you highlighting a particular aspect of our research, announcing new features, explaining changes to the system, or inviting you to special events.
- We may also use your information to contact you for the purpose of research into our site’s, MMORPG’s or other software’s operation. We may contact you by email. We may ask for additional information at that time. Providing additional information is entirely optional and will in no way affect your service in the site.
- We may contact you with a newsletter about the progress of the project.
You are unlikely to receive more than two messages per month.
Further information and requests
The Data Controller is the Centre for Forensics, Biometrics and Privacy, Faculty of Organization and Informatics. In case of any disputes, the Court in Varaždin, Croatia is considered to have jurisdiction. For a copy of the information we hold on you please contact the project team at the address below:
Fakultet organizacije i informatike
N/R Dr. Markus Schatten
Laboratorij za umjetnu inteligenciju
Follow us on facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Copyright AI Lab 2014. All rights reserved.